Sunday, December 13, 2009

A social Experiment

Yesterday i had been to Bangalore Central (A shopping mall and not railway station) for shopping with my cousin Pavan. Thanks to weekend and Christmas round the corner, there were plenty of people and pretty people around. A live band was entertaining the people around. Few good looking girls with red cap were entertaining the kids with tattoos, music, mehendi etc. There was also a Santa distributing chocolates to the kids around.

The band was playing some steppy bollywood numbers as we walked around the store. Soon the band stopped and a DJ took over playing some totally un-understandable music. For fifteen minutes i tried hard to follow the music but could not. I suggested pavan that we must go and ask the DJ to play kannada music. Pavan was game for the idea. We picked some stuff and headed towards the DJ. Pavan suddenly chickened off and said it was embarrassing to ask the DJ to play kannada music.

This is a pretty "Flashy place" and kannada music is not generally played in these places. I made up my mind to ask the DJ to play a kannda song. He told me that the management has told me that he has to play 80% English and 20% Hindi songs. He started giving me some rationale behind the choice of music. I insisted that he has to play a Kannada song. (I had serious doubts about him playing it). To my surprise he agreed to play.

From no angle, i look like a right wing kannada activist . As a matter of fact i asked him in English to play a kannada song. So he definitely did not fear me as a pro-kannada activist.

Within the next couple of minutes, he started playing a kannada song "Jinke mari na". I was in the ground floor and the moment the song started, almost everyone looked at the DJ. The customers and the employees there, almost all of them turned to DJ looking at him with some astonishment.

As i left the mall, i asked a few employees of the mall if they had heard a kannada song in the mall before. The answer was obviously "NO". It was the first time a kannada song was played in that mall.

I cannot draw any conclusive conclusion from this. But the reaction of the people in the mall for the kannada song did surprise me.


2 comments:

  1. rethat was fun.we should do more experiments more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must. Its good fun. Next time we will make them play annavara song or juggesh song in lifestyle or coffee day.

    ReplyDelete